Google
Web mendingthenet.blogspot.com
Mending the Net: The art of offering cutlery: forgiving past yourself

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The art of offering cutlery: forgiving past yourself

He forgave us all our sins, having cancelled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.

Colossians 2:14

I had large chunks of doubt in my teenage life-soup.

There were carrots of hatred, potatoes of fear, leeks of abuse… oh but the stock was faith, the water was hope, the chicken was me. Though there are more vegetables, usually, than chicken in chicken soup you’ll notice that they don’t (often) get featured in the title.

It’s just chicken soup.

Sure, there are vegetables there, but though they’re important ingredients that help make the soup what it is, it is chicken soup. I’m the chicken. My sins, my doubts, my fears – the things I find hard to “deal” with, yes they’re important, but they don’t define me. They’re not who I am, they’re actually forgotten about when I think about my self-soup. My hope is in there too, surrounding me, making me palatable and useful, and my faith brings the best flavours out of me. When it comes down to it, I’ll be known as chicken soup.

Without God I wouldn’t be soup at all, I wouldn’t be warm on winter nights and comforting to the lost and unfortunate. I guess I might make a mediocre salad and, though some people kid themselves that is good enough – it really isn’t.

Personally, I feel little surprise that soup kitchens can offer solace to those not yet stepping through church doors. We’re all ingredients, we give each other cutlery and say “Dig in!” every day of our lives, do we give God the same chance? Ah, because we’re not perfect, and we can’t let the big perfect guy up in the sky see into these hearts that we are ashamed of because we stole lipstick/did drugs/were mugged/kissed the wrong boy….

How selfish that we have to forgive ourselves , not feel guilty, or other people have to forgive us so we stop feeling guilty. Why is it not God’s forgiveness we truly crave with all our hearts? These imperfect hearts of ours. Well, let’s get this straight – God knows they’re imperfect and, you know what, He loves us for it. He’s our Father and, sure, He wants us all to walk the path he left us a guidebook for, He wants us to help others down that road too – but if we mess up, He still loves us. He loves us all the more for coming back home to Him after our mess ups. He’s that kind of guy.

So why not pass Him a spoon?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Heidi said...

I've bookmarked your site...very insightful!

7:45 pm  
Blogger Eliza said...

Heidi,

Thank you so much! I added a link to yours from mine so I can keep up with it, I'm always forgetting to look in my bookmarks - hope this is ok with you?

10:39 am  
Anonymous Alyssa C. said...

Great blog post!

May I link you to Godly Ladies in Training?

12:29 pm  
Blogger Eliza said...

Alyssa,

Thank you!!

I'd be honoured to find a link in Godly Ladies in Training! That would be awesome!

1:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home